How do I set up live stage monitoring?
Setting up a live stage monitor mix using conventional monitors:
1. Press the ROUTE button and page right to the Analog Out page.
2. Adjust the first encoder to select a rear panel analog output (e.g. Output 1), then adjust the fourth encoder to select a mix bus (e.g. Mix Bus 1). When the source and destination have been selected, press the 4th encoder to complete the assignment.
3. Adjust the 5th encoder to set up the monitor send as pre-fader, or pre/post EQ. This will prevent the monitor mix from changing when the front-of-house mix is adjusted.
4. Connect a cable from rear panel analog Out 1 to the input of:
a A powered stage monitor
b An external amplifier feeding a passive stage monitor
c A transmitter for a set of wireless in-ear monitors
5. On the bank of output faders on the right hand side of the console, select the monitor bus (1-8, 9-16) (in this case Bus 1) and adjust the fader to 0 dB initially. You can change the overall output level on this bus anytime later, of course.
6. To adjust the mix sent to the monitor, select an input channel, then adjust its “Bus Send 1” knob. Repeat for the other input channels to complete the monitor mix.
The monitor mix can also be adjusted using the X32’s “Sends on Faders” function:
1. On the bank of output faders on the right hand side of the console, select the monitor bus (1-8, 9-16) that feeds the talent’s stage monitor (in this case Bus 1).
2. Press the “Sends on Faders” button. You will see the button illuminate.
3. Select one of the three input channel layers (CH1-16, CH17-32, Line-Aux/FX Ret)
4. Adjust the 32 channels of input faders on the left side of the console. They now act as “virtual aux send knobs” for the Mix Bus 1 feeding the stage monitor, allowing you to quickly adjust the overall monitor mix using the faders.
Setting up a live stage monitor mix using the S16 Digital Stage Box:
1. Connect the S16 stage box to AES50 port A on the rear panel of the console using a standard Cat 5 Ethernet cable.
2. On the stage, connect a cable from Output 1 of the S16 stagebox to the input of the stage monitor.
3. Press the ROUTE button and page right to the AES50 A page.
4. Adjust the first encoder to select “Out 1-8” for the first 8 outputs of the AES50 A bus, then press the encoder to make the connection.
5. Analog Outputs 1-8 on the X32 are now routed to the first 8 outputs of the AES50 A connector, which in turn feeds the 8 analog outputs of the S16 stage box connected to the AES50 A connector.
6. Adjust the monitor mix that feeds Mix Bus 1, as described above.
Setting up a live stage monitor mix using the P16 Ultranet Bus:
1. Connect an Ultranet personal monitor mixer (or P16 distribution amplifier) to either the P16 connector on the rear panel of the X32, or to the P16 connector on an S16 stage box that is connected to the X32 console.
2. Press the ROUTE button and page right to the P16 page.
3. Adjust the first and fourth encoders to pair specific audio slots on the P16 bus with direct outs of various console channels, pressing the fourth encoder to complete each connection.
4. Any personal mixer connected to the P16 bus will now receive up to 16 individual audio channels, allowing its user to craft their own unique monitor mix.
5. When using the P16 connector on an S16 connected to AES50 port A, press the ROUTE button and page right to the AES50 A page, then adjust the fifth encoder to select ‘P16 1-8’, then press the encoder. Adjust the sixth encoder to select ‘P16 9-16’, then press the encoder. Note: The P16 signals on the S16 are sourced from AES50 channels 33-48.
Communicating with talent on stage:
1 Press the “view” button in the Talkback section.
2 Adjust the fourth encoder to set the destination of the talkback microphone, pressing the encoder to set the connections. The talkback mic can be routed to any of the individual mix buses that are feeding a monitor system.
3 Adjust the third encoder to set the volume of the talkback mic.
4 Press the second encoder to choose between the onboard talkback mic and an external one connected to the top panel.
5 Press the talkback A button to activate the talkback microphone to communicate with the stage talent. The talkback button can be set to latching or non-latching using the push action of the 5th encoder.